Immerse Education provides an unparalleled educational experience in Cambridge University colleges for 13-18 year old participants. Tutorials and seminars are taught by highly regarded tutors in an optimal learning environment that stimulates academic enquiry; yet the carefully planned schedule ensures that the programme not only meets the academic needs of the participants, but also provides a unique insight into the university city through an abundance of extracurricular activities and leadership experiences. We place great importance on providing a safe, secure and enjoyable experience for our participants, and are looking for responsible and qualified staff that share our core values.
We take pastoral care very seriously, and so we’re looking for outgoing, friendly and approachable individuals who are comfortable in managing small groups of participants and creating a ‘home away from home’. You’ll be expected to share insights on your university experience. It’s a demanding role and rewarding role, which is as much about enjoyment as it is about responsibility.
Summer Mentors are a team of university undergraduate students who have been selected to supervise programme participants, to lead extracurricular activities and to organise evening social events and workshops. Summer Mentors are also assigned groups of 10-15 participants, for whom they are responsible for ensuring the well-being of for the duration of the programme.
- Mentees: you will generally oversee these participants, ensure they are in the ‘right place at the right time’, assist them in extracurricular activities (ie sport, formals, workshops, excursions etc). Furthermore you will be on-site each day providing pastoral and logistic support to them
- Accompany students to/from airports, assist them with registration, help with the transportation of luggage to their allocated rooms and show them around the College.
- Summer Mentors are responsible for ensuring that every venue/classroom is cleared of rubbish, and is neat and orderly after every single event, ready for the next session. Refreshments must also be regularly replenished
- Special Role – each mentor will be allocated responsibility over one of the following areas: managing social media, blogging, organising the final night party, AV, talent night coordinators, logistics, college tours, managing excursions (Oxford and London) among others.
- Deliver a presentation and workshop on your undergraduate subject at our Academic Fair
- Attend evening meetings with the College Manager, followed by curfew patrols
- Be the face of Immerse Education to students, staff and parents and uphold our high standards of quality, safety and academic excellence
- Ensure we deliver within Health & Safety and Risk Assessments guidelines
- Current or recent Cambridge University graduate, undergraduate or master student
- Relevant experience of residential summer schools or summer camps would be desirable
- Applicants should be extremely organised, efficient and flexible, and able to work in a busy, fast-paced and often challenging, summer school environment
- Adaptability, integrity, enthusiasm, sense of humour and patience
- Have an innate ability to work with children of all ages
- Be pleasant mannered and personable with a professional demeanour
- Be flexible in working times as early starts/late finishes may be necessary during peak times
- Typical Week-Day: 8:30am Check-in mentees at breakfast, 12pm College Tours/Picnics, 4-6pm Lead afternoon activities and workshops, 8-10pm Evening activities, 10:30pm Evening Meeting with College Manager, 11pm Curfew patrol
- Summer mentors are contracted at a rate of £900 per session (2 weeks), and are provided with accommodation, breakfast and dinner each day.
To apply, follow the link below