Are you a high school student struggling to find inspiration for your creative writing assignments? Do you feel like you’re stuck in a rut and can’t seem to come up with new and exciting ideas? If so, you’re not alone.
Many students struggle with coming up with ideas for creative writing, especially when they feel pressure to produce something original and engaging.
But the good news is that there are ways to break through the block and find inspiration for your writing.
For instance, by attending our award-winning creative writing summer programme, you’ll learn how to conquer the fear of the blank page. How? By learning proven formulas for creating brilliant stories.
Another way to have that creative spark is to use creative writing prompts.
This article will provide creative high school students like yourself with a list of creative writing prompts. So you’ll get the inspiration you need to get into the flow and start writing!
What are Writing Prompts?
Writing prompts are ideas that help writers overcome writer’s block and get started with their writing. They can come in various forms, including a
- Or series of questions.
Creative writing prompts get your creative juices flowing. When you encounter a writing prompt, it encourages you to start writing!
What types of writing, you ask? It can be anything from fiction writing to essay writing. Creative writing prompts are even used to get you started with freewriting in your daily journal.
So you see, many writers find writing prompts a quick and easy way to begin a new writing project. Or to overcome writer’s block when they are stuck.
How Do You Use Writing Prompts?
There are many different ways to use writing prompts. Here are a few ideas:
Use writing prompts to start a new writing project.
Are you having trouble coming up with ideas for a new writing project? Try using a writing prompt to get started. You can use a writing prompt as the starting point for a
- Short story
- Essay, or any other type of writing.
Use writing prompts to overcome writer’s block.
Stuck on a particular piece of writing and can’t seem to move forward? Use writing prompts to brainstorm on how to proceed!
Use writing prompts to practice your writing skills.
As the old adage says, practice makes perfect! You can use writing prompts to practice different writing techniques or styles. Or try out different writing genres!
Use writing prompts to challenge yourself.
You can use writing prompts to push yourself out of your comfort zone and try writing about things you might not usually write about.
Say your comfort zone is writing fantasy stories. And you want to try something new. Why not use scary writing prompts as a starting point?
To use a writing prompt, choose a prompt that interests you and start writing. There are no hard and fast rules about how to use writing prompts – the important thing is to just start writing and see where the prompt takes you!
Creative Writing Prompts High School Students will Love
Write a story about a character who:
- discovers a mysterious, abandoned house in the woods
- suddenly gains the power of time travel
- has to confront their greatest fear
- is given the opportunity to live in a different time period
- discovers a secret underground society
- is given a magical object that can grant wishes.
Or, check out the other prompts too:
- Write a poem about a summer day you will never forget.
- Imagine that you are stranded on a deserted island. Write a story about your experience.
- Write a letter to your future self ten years from now.
- Imagine that you are a detective trying to solve a mysterious crime. Write a story about your investigation.
Creative High School Poetry Writing Prompts
Write a poem about a/an:
- summer romance you will never forget
- memorable experience you had with a friend
- place that holds special meaning for you
- moment of clarity or realisation that you had
- person who has had a significant impact on your life
- object that holds special meaning for you
- dream that you had and can’t seem to forget
- time when you felt completely lost
- time when you felt completely free
- moment of beauty that you witnessed
Writing Prompts with an Element of Suspense
Write a story about a character who:
- is being stalked by an unknown assailant
- wakes up with no memory of the past 24 hours
- receives a series of mysterious, threatening letters
- discovers a hidden room in their house filled with grotesque objects
- is trapped in a strange, unfamiliar place
- is being pursued by a dangerous, unknown entity
- is being watched by an unknown pair of eyes
- is being followed by a shadowy figure
- hears strange noises in the middle of the night
- finds a mysterious, unmarked package on their doorstep
Writing Prompts for Stories That Start with Dialogue
Start your story with a conversation between two characters who are:
- meeting for the first time
- meeting each other for the first time in ten years after graduation
- trying to solve a problem
- discussing a secret
- trying to keep a secret from someone else
- discussing their future plans
- trying to make amends after a misunderstanding
- reminiscing about the past
- trying to persuade each other of something
Writing Prompts That Ask “What if?”
What if you:
- woke up one morning with the ability to fly? How would you use this ability?
- could time travel? Where would you go and why?
- woke up one day to find that everyone in the world had switched bodies? How would you cope with this?
- could read minds? How would you use this ability?
- suddenly had access to unlimited wealth? How would you use this wealth?
- could talk to animals? How would this change your life?
- were the only person on Earth who knew how to speak a certain language? How would you use this knowledge?
- could turn invisible at will? How would you use this power?
- developed the ability to communicate with the spirits of the dead? How would this change your life?
- could teleport anywhere in the world instantly? How would you use this ability?
Funny Writing Prompts for High School
Write a story about a character who:
- wakes up to find that they’ve turned into a giant chicken
- has a magic lamp that grants them absurd wishes
- becomes the world’s worst superhero
- accidentally becomes the president of the United States
- is chased by a giant hamster
- discovers that their reflection is actually an alternate dimension
- becomes a world-famous rapper after a misunderstanding at a karaoke bar
- becomes the world’s worst detective
- is constantly followed by a cloud of bees
- becomes the world’s worst secret agent
Do you have a brother or sister in middle school? Our middle school writing prompts are a great way for them to get into the flow of creative writing effectively.
Journal Prompts for High School Creative Writing
- Write about a time when:
- you felt particularly proud of yourself
- you had to confront your greatest fear
- you had a moment of clarity or realisation
- you felt that life was wonderful
- Write about a place that holds special meaning for you.
- Write about a person who has significantly impacted your life.
- Write about a moment of beauty that you witnessed.
- Write about a dream you had and can’t forget.
- Write about a memorable experience you had with a friend.
Non-Fiction Writing Prompts
Write an essay about a/an:
- significant event in your life and how it has impacted you
- person who has inspired you and why
- current issue that is important to you and why
- time when you had to overcome a challenge and how you did it
- place that you have visited and why it was meaningful to you
- hobby or activity that you are passionate about and why
- book, movie, or TV show that has had a significant impact on you and why
- social issue that you feel strongly about and what you are doing to make a difference
- goal that you have set for yourself and how you plan to achieve it
- person who has made a positive impact on your community and how they did it
Adventurous Short Story Prompts
Write a story about a character who goes on a:
- solo hike in the wilderness and becomes lost
- treasure hunt and faces unexpected challenges along the way
- safari and encounters a rare and dangerous animal
- white water rafting trip and gets stranded in the wilderness
- mountain climbing expedition and faces unexpected challenges
- scuba diving trip and discovers a hidden underwater world
- hot air balloon ride and gets carried away by the wind
- skydiving trip and has to make an emergency landing
- parasailing trip and gets caught in a storm
- snowboarding trip and gets caught in an avalanche
Science Fiction Short Story Prompts
- Write a story about a character who is:
- given a device that can predict the future
- the only survivor of an alien invasion
- recruited by a secret organization to fight against an alien threat
- the only one who can communicate with newly-discovered alien species
- the only one who can stop a group of rebels from taking over the world
- the only one who can save the world from an asteroid heading towards Earth
- the only human on a distant planet
- Write a story about a character who travels through time and encounters their future self.
- Write a story about a character discovering a portal to an alternate dimension.
- Write a story about a character who is given a device that allows them to control time.
Scary Short Story Prompts
- Write a story about a character who is
- being stalked by a demon
- trapped in a haunted house
- haunted by the ghost of a loved one
- terrorized by a clown
- Write a story about a character who
- discovers a cursed object and starts having strange, terrifying experiences
- starts seeing strange, supernatural creatures in their dreams
- hears a lady cry every night, but no one is there
- notices a strange doll appear in their house, not knowing where it came from
- listens to neighbours report they’ve been seeing a toddler running around the house, but your character lives alone
Fantasy Short Story Prompts
- Write a story about a character who
- discovers that they are a witch or wizard with magical powers
- finds out they are the chosen one, destined to save the world from an ancient evil
- realises they are a fairy or other mythical creature
- is given a magical object that can grant wishes
- discovers a magic book with secrets to the universe
- receives a magical potion that transforms them into a different creature
- accidentally stumbles into a world where everything is the opposite of what they know
- gains a legendary staff that gives them the power to control the elements
- enters a magical, mythical land ruled by an evil king
- discovers that they are the reincarnation of a mythical hero
Need more Creative Writing prompts? Check out this article entitled “308 Creative Writing Prompts To Unlock Your Writing Skills.”
How Else Can I Improve My Creative Writing Skills?
1. Read widely
Reading improves your writing skills by exposing you to different
- And Techniques you can incorporate into your own writing.
Did you know reading widens your vocabulary? It does! And vocabulary is an essential aspect of effective writing. The more words you know, the more effectively you can communicate your ideas.
Also, reading helps improve your comprehension and critical thinking skills. Both of these are valuable for analysing and synthesising information. So you’ll learn how to present ideas clearly in your writing.
2. Write Regularly…and Don’t Stop!
Think of writing as a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it becomes! Writing regularly makes you feel more comfortable and confident.
What’s more, it helps you develop your own voice and style. Once you hone the aspects that make you unique, you’ll stand out more!
Writing regularly also gives you a better sense of what works and what doesn’t. And you’ll be able to refine your writing accordingly.
The more you write, the better you will become at it. So maximise our creative writing prompts and make time to write every day. Even if it’s just for a few minutes!
3. Experiment with Different Writing Styles
Do you know that experimenting with different writing styles and techniques expands your writing skills? Why? Because doing so makes you a versatile writer. Able to adapt your style to different situations and audiences.
For example, writing poems even when you’re not used to poetry-writing forces you to think. To imagine and create! As a result? You get out of your comfort zone and explore. And you’re better able to reimagine your craft.
What are the common writing styles?
- Descriptive – often uses similes and metaphors to help the reader experience the writing (e.g. songs, poems)
- Narrative – flashbacks and foreshadowing are common elements of a narrative style with a clear, fleshed-out plot (e.g. novels)
- Or Persuasive writing – convinces the reader to believe what the writer believes (e.g. essays, sales copy)
What better way to keep you motivated than by joining a writing community? A writing community provides support and encouragement. Being surrounded by like-minded folks passionate about writing can be a great source of inspiration!
Plus, you’ll be exposed to different writing styles and techniques. Which can help you expand your horizon and help you become a more versatile writer.
Joining a writing community can also be a great way to get feedback on your writing. Helping you identify areas for improvement.
Finally, do you know a writing community can be a great source of information and resources? Members often share valuable writing tips and strategies.
5. Enrol In A Creative Writing Course
What is one of the most effective methods in fast-tracking you to massive improvement in your writing skills? Taking a creative writing course!
Why does taking a creative writing course help you improve your writing skills? Because you’ll learn from experienced writers. While having the opportunity to practice writing under the watchful eye of expert tutors.
Creative writing prompts are useful for high school students looking for inspiration for new and original ideas. You can overcome writer’s block by tapping into your creativity in a new and exciting way.
These prompts will challenge and inspire you. So give them a try and see what amazing stories and ideas you can come up with!